How far are you willing to go to get a good night sleep? I mean beyond the usual sleeping pill, Valerian tea, and tart cherry juice. Are you willing to step into the unusual and bizarre world of cures for insomnia? We’ve all had trouble sleeping and know how crazy that can make us feel…but a recent poll shows that some of the cures to that insomnia are what are REALLY crazy.
A recent survey done by CALM was comprised of 4,279 American and Britons. They where shown a list of possible cures for insomnia and where asked to rate them in ranking of which they would try. The results where to say at least surprising.
Insomnia Cure ranked by votes
1. Rubbing dog’s earwax on your teeth (60%)
2. Eating sea slug entrails before bed (58%)
3. Drinking a potion containing the bile of a castrated boar (57%)
4. Rubbing dormouse/ field mouse fat on the soles of your feet (55%)
5. Lathering your hair in yellow soap (46%)
6. Eating fried lettuce before bed (39%)
7. Drinking a brew of lettuce opium (39%)
8. Eating a raw onion before bed (38%)
9. Pointing your bed northwards. (28%)
10. Watching a video of a crossword puzzle tournament (18%)
11. Curling and uncurling your toes (16%)
12. Drinking cinnamon and banana and tea (16%)
The one that I thought was so disgusting was rubbing dogs ear wax on your teeth. The idea that smearing your teeth with the earwax of a dog would cure insomnia is credited to Gerolamo Cardano, a 15th century doctor and mathematician in Renaissance Italy whose other credits included being a founder of probability theory.
It just goes to show you that insomnia is not a modern world problem. The Egyptian came up with the “Drinking The Brew of Lettuce Opium” and the French tried “Fried Lettuce” although “Let them eat cake” was Marie Antoinette’s idea. It did not help so much with her insomnia. Please feel free to try them yourself if you find yourself desperate for sleep.
Click Here To Read The Full Article